Sunday, January 22, 2017

Synesthesia/cymatics

Synesthesia and cymatics has always been something that interested me a great deal. I never really knew what to call it, or if there really was a study of it, but visual sound has always caught my attention. It is amazing that there is such a long history of people studying it. Being a musician as well as a filmmaker, I had always wanted to find a way to visualize the sound of my favorite songs. Ernst Chladni’s experiment with metal plates and sand was really interesting to me. I would love to learn more about how that works and how that could be applied to a visual medium like film. I think Evan Grant put it well when he was suggesting that sound could have had something to do with creation itself. The thought that creation itself is just the form of a sound is a remarkable idea. Daniel Tammet’s TED talk was also interesting as he discussed the way in which he perceives things. The idea that the way we learn and know anything is based on our perception of things I believe is very true. Daniel Tammet sees things in a very different way than anyone else and uses that to create art and even further his research. I believe this could be a new and inventive way to look at filmmaking. I would love to bring some of the ideas of these two speakers into account on my experimental project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment